Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Kona 2014: Day Two

Day Two: Path Race Day

Taper training for the day: 8.5 miles of running, 21 miles of riding


My day started by waking up at four feeling like it was eight.  Awesome.  I had an hour and a half to myself to unpack the bike and get things in working order.  All was good and the bike was feeling rock solid. 


I upgraded to the new P3 after Ironman Texas this year and have had two successful races on it this season including a PR of a 4:42 112 mile split at Ironman Boulder this past August.  It's a great bike to be on right now.  For this race I will be using a P3 with 808 firecrest wheels and a quark power meter.


After Aiden and my dad woke up, we took a walk down to the pool to make sure that the slide was still there.

Yep Aiden... Still there.


Every year we have been here, we have participated in the Path 5k/10k race.  I opted to do the 10k again this year.  I started the race with a goal of a 36+ minute 10k and was on very good track through two miles.  I was running low 5:30's but cramped after about 2.3.  Took it easy and cruised the rest - No need to do any damage here.  There is a big race coming on Saturday anyways.


Dad did the 5k and Aiden did the Kids run.  Dad was 5th in his AG and I am proud of that :)

Aidens smile after the kids run was pretty amazing too.  I am really proud of him.


This is that smile right after his run


We waited around for a little bit before heading back to the Sheraton.


Back to the Sheraton for the BEST BREAKFAST IN THE WORLD!  SERIOUSLY, NO JOKE. ALL CAPS NEEDED HERE.


Finished breakfast then walked over to the pool to watch some Bronco football.  I was able to watch the whole thing with a nice crew of about 10 Broncos fans.  No, there was no booze in this one.  I was going to go for a ride later.


Aiden played in the pool for hours.  He went down the slide 20 plus times.


I got in a nice 21 mile ride before we went to get dinner at Sam Choys.  We had a great dinner and then I put the dude to bed around 8:15.  I fell asleep around 8:45.

Monday will give us another low key day before registration and before s* gets real.


No comments:

Post a Comment