Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Kona: Day One - Sunday

Over the next week, I am going to keep a log of the events leading up to the 2013 race.  I will keep this as a personal journal, and to share the experience of an amateur athlete racing one of the greatest endurance events in the world.


First full day in Kona.  First full day of awesome.

This is my second time racing here in as many years and the difference in how I feel about being here this year vs. last is HUGE.  I came into the 2012 race as a last minute qualifier in Louisville, KY.  I entered Louisville last minute as well.  Getting to Kona was never really a thought until I got a slot in Kentucky, so being in Kona was completely unexpected.

I wanted to be here in 2012 to have some fun and enjoy this race/enjoy Hawaii as much as possible before racing IM Florida (also with my wife - her first IM) a few weeks later.  I love Hawaii - We come here two or so times per year, but for some reason it was not relaxing at all in 2012.  My subconscious took over and did not let me chill.  Yeah, I had many beers and many great times, but it just wasn't what I imagined.  I was constantly thinking of this race that I had never done - I was thinking of what the bike course was like, how windy it would be, and all that other stuff.  I was subconsciously scared of the unknown.  The crazy number of fit, intimidating Europeans/Australians didn't help either.

My feelings about being here this year are different so far.  I am much more relaxed about this thing.

Our flight was great yesterday.  Beth, Aiden and I were able to get the non-stop from Denver which was good for a toddler.   Got to the Sheraton and had a great dinner.  Then, this morning we did the Path 10k/5k.  The Path road race is the kickoff event for the IM week and its a chance to give one last harder effort before Saturday.  I did the 5k last year, but since I broke my foot a few weeks back, I wanted to do the 10k at a bit more of a relaxed pace.  I aimed for my open marathon pace and did just about that.  I ran a 39:00 for the 6.34 miles (a bit long) and felt fairly okay.  My dad also did the 10k and my wife did the 5k.

After the run, we came back to the hotel and grabbed some breakfast before watching Broncos football.  Great game, great win.  After that, I took a 30 mile ride out on the Queen K.  Day ended up at Sam Choys restaurant for some fish and poke.

Lots of athletes are here, but it hasn't totally picked up yet.  Registration opens on Tuesday, so I suppose it'll start to get a little crazy then.  The party is slowly starting.

Anyways, it was an awesome first full day.

Day started at 3am with Aiden.  4 hour time change.

Pap - my dad and Aiden at the end of the Path 10k

Aiden and Beth got some pool time

Aiden and mamma stretching before the Keiki run. 

Path 10k start - perfect way to start the Ironman WC week

This is how family photos should look
My parents, wife, and kid

First selfie ever - about ready for beer

beer #1




No comments:

Post a Comment