Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Kona: Day Two - Monday

Race week has officially begun here but the whole race/Ironman thing feels pretty far off.  Yeah, there are tons of super fit people all over, but the masses just aren't here yet.  I think this will change over the next two days.

This morning started off great.  I got up around 4am again and hung out with my still not-adjusted kid for a while.  The game plan will be to keep getting up this early, but try and nap every day from here till Saturday.  I normally rise around 4-4:30 back in Boulder as a time to spend by myself (alone time) so this is nothing different.

First thing we did was go down and grab some breakfast at around 8.  I am a huge breakfast fan.

Then, as planned, I got on the bike for a 42 mile ride up the Queen K and back.  I kept the effort at IM pace for 80 percent of this ride and felt okay.  The winds were awesome, and by awesome I mean non-existant.  I was able to hold 22mph avg on about 190w, and that was amazing.  I would absolutely love to have these conditions on race day.  Chances are we will not be this lucky.

I met my family back at the pier for a swim.  I don't know if it was the time or what, but the crowds that usually gather at dig me beach were not there.  Like I said, I think this will all change over the next few days.  For the swim, I just hopped in and swam a mile.  First time swimming with a garmin 910xt so it was very cool to know how far I went.  Water was very rough, but clear.  This is my favorite swim course in the world...  It's a coral reef the whole way.  When I got out far enough, shark week popped into my mind and scared the shit out of me.  I made it back to the pier much faster than on the way out.  Thanks Discovery Channel.

Walked for 30 minutes in Kailua and hit the Rudy Project site for some cheap glasses for Beth and myself then headed back to the hotel to sit until it was time for a luau.

Evening ended with a great dinner/show right downstairs at the Sheraton Luau.  We did this last year and it was a hit with Aiden, so naturally, we ended up doing it again.  What a great way to top off day #2.

Race registration opens tomorrow am - it's about to get real.



Dad and Aiden this morning before breakfast

Lava, lava, and more lava

Out on the Queen K highway.  This is what much of the course looks like.  It makes for some mental challenges

Looking at fish before hopping in for swim

Beth and I posing for the exact same picture as last year

Kailua





Interactive part of the Luau.  Poi balls

No comments:

Post a Comment