Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Weekly Training Log: Week of September 7th, 2015 - Week #34: A Half Ironman, NFL Kickoff, Two Weeks to IM Chattanooga

In Life:  The week went, then the weekend came.  I am struggling more with constant exhaustion during the work day from getting up for early workouts.  It's not as bad as the last few years, but it's definitely there.  I have found that making sure that I do get in a second session/workout every day has been helping me feel better.
I was lucky to see my sister for a very short while on Saturday before she and my wife (along with four kids) went to hang out and do stuff while I took some time and prepped for a 70.3 distance race I was doing on Sunday.  I got done with the race on Sunday then headed home to watch the Broncos regular NFL kickoff against Baltimore and was happy to have my sister and three kids over to hang out for most of the game.  It's really awesome having her around Colorado again.  I have said that on here, and I am sure I will say it again.


In Training:  I did not let up much this past week even though I was planning on racing the Harvest Moon Half Ironman Tri on Sunday.  I used this week to kind of launch into that last "hard workout/race" on Sunday.  I did take Saturday before the race totally off.
The race went pretty well.  I ended up 2nd overall out of 500 plus athletes.

The swim was mediocre at best - Every time I put on a wetsuit, I am slower.  I will look to change into a looser fitting wetsuit soon and hope that this can help.
The bike was extremely technical - Four loops with a total of 12 U turns.  This made for lots of slowing/speeding up.  It was also very hilly.  ZERO flat sections.  It was a good bike workout.  The weird thing is that I started to feel tired by the end of the 56 mile ride.  This is rare.  I am thinking and hoping it was because I tried to take in minimal calories.  Average and Normalized power was also lower than I would have liked.  I think this is from leftover training fatigue.
The run was awesome.  Even though the turn-around was messed up and I ran close to 14 miles, I held VERY consistent and ran sub 6:30's fairly easily.  I was sub 40 minutes for the first 10k, then at the 13.1 mile mark on my watch, I had 1:24:25.  This would be a half IM run split PR for a race at altitude.

Last thing - When I got home to watch the game, my right forearm started hurting pretty bad.  I have no idea when I injured it, but I think it was during the race.  As I write last weeks re-cap almost a week later, it's still pretty banged up.  It is limiting swimming, but nothing else.  It does get a bit sore on runs, so I think I'll pack an arm brace for T2 in Chattanooga.




Weekly Totals
Swim: 7,450 yds 
Bike: 171.5ish miles (mostly on Trainer)
Run: 34.6 miles




My niece Meadow started walking pretty well.  This is my sister with her when I saw them on Saturday.
One of my favorite hobbies and things I'm in to officially returned.  The regular NFL season.

Most of the mile splits from the race this past Sunday

Watermarked.  Sorry.  I may purchase and replace.



No comments:

Post a Comment