Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Kona 2014: Day Four

Taper training for the day: 33 miles on the bike, 1,500yds open water swimming.


The day started with breakfast as usual followed by a ride out from the Sheraton onto the Queen K highway.  This is where the majority of the race happens on the bike.  Look for a picture from the Day three blog.  Very stark landscape.


I met everyone down at the pier - where the swim starts and where the transitions are for the race for a nice mile"isn" open water swim.

I have taken a picture here with my bike and Beth every year I have raced.  This time is was Aiden.



I went straight form the swim over to the King Kemeha Hotel for Athlete registration.  Fast and efficient process.  This race is good for a quick check in.


Boom.  Smile and all.  I do this pose every year.


A few pics from inside the registration area.  All of the blue shirts are volunteers.



I went straight from registration (without buying a thing) back to the hotel and had an hour massage. 


During the massage, he had fun.



First year I raced it was orange.  Last year it was green.  This year it's blue.


Faris Al Sutans bike.  The dude won this race in a speedo.  Hero.


My birth year.  Bud light sponsored.  


They gave us quality back packs this year as apposed to shit that breaks before you try to zip it up.



Aiden and I then had a hour submarine tour with Atlantis subs.  AWESOME experience here and a good time with him.  The sub goes down 100 feet and you jet around and see all kinds of awesome stuff including two shipwrecks.




Down the hatch



I love this picture.  The photographer gave me the pic for free because I was a DENVER BRONCO FAN!


ABC stores were my favorite growing up so I made him say cheese.



Then my fellow coach of IPA Endurance randomly showed up.  Bill, you are the shit.


We watched the parade of nations at fish hoper,  watched a good sunset, then called it a night.


No comments:

Post a Comment