Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Kona 2014: Day One

It's early Octotber and that means it's time to get over to Hawaii again.  This will be my third time in Kona to race in the Ironman World Championships and I will be doing what I did last year - A daily journal of my experiences and fun spent while prepping for and enjoying the biggest freak show in endurance sport.

I am going to this race with zero expectations and with a goal to keep my sub 10hr IM finish streak intact and enjoy an awesome family trip to the big island.

This will be my fourth Ironman distance race this year.  I went in with some big goals and have had a blast along the way.  But, I am tired.  Really tired.  Mind/body/soul tired.  I want to get through this one and really just enjoy it.  It is such an honor and blessing to be and to race among the best in the world at this distance.

Don't get me wrong.  Racing these crazy things is what I love.  Even though I am tired, I am really really excited.



Day One:  Travel Day


I woke up nice and early Saturday morning to go over and get a 6+ mile treadmill run in before the long flight.  I did a fartlek run with some really fast stuff.  Like some work at sub 5 minute mile pace. Stupid.



I got home and loaded up the car with a bag and my kid.  My parents were on a different flight, thus it was just Aiden and Daddy for the long trek of the day.  Beth will be joining us on Wednesday.


I really needed this day to re-connect with my boy.  He has spent so much one on one time with Mommy.  Things were good and I was happy that he was doing his job of being awesome.


We got to the "oar port" (as Aiden says) and almost missed the flight.  I like cutting things close.

Anyways, we made it.  Got on and ready for the 6.5 hour flight to Honolulu.


It was a long flight and I wasn't driving.  Vodka and Diet Coke it is.


I can't say enough about how proud I am of Aiden on that flight.  We watched movies on the iPad, colored, talked.  It was cool.

Sorry - this open mouth selfie is all we know how to do.





I promised the kid an airplane if he was awesome.  He got an airplane in Honolulu.


Grabbed a beer and watched an hour of the SF Giants playoff game while waiting for our flight to the Big Island.


We made it.  Dude was tired and so was I.


Aiden fell asleep for about 2 minutes in the car - a catnap that got him through dinner.  Another selfie was taken in order to keep him up.


This is a view from where our room is at the Sheraton this year.


Had dinner at the hotel.  Awesome restaurant and bar.  Had a few beers, good fish, and was ready for bed.


I wish he went to bed this easy every night.




No comments:

Post a Comment