Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Kona taper: day one

Over the next week and a half, I will do a quick run down of my daily workouts leading up to this years Ironman World championship race.  I could end up having a great day, or could end up having a horrible one.  With the daily taper log, I'll be able to contain some excitement as well as document the last few days of training and active recovery that I have done leading up to this.

No matter what, I think that this years race will be an interesting one.  Breaking my foot ten weeks ago really threw everything off and I have been scrambling to get back as fast as possible.  I took the minimum amount of time off (in a boot) and got back to my full training mileage within 3 weeks out of the walking boot.  I don't think this was not the smartest thing to do, yet I am happy I did.  I have gotten back quickly and feel pretty confident about completing the race.

No matter what happens, I feel like I have learned a lot from this.  I don't however think that this injury will be totally gone for quite some time.  There is quite a bit of scar tissue buildup that still causes some soreness, as well as causes some hesitation.

Today's workouts were split into two sessions.  The morning session was a 9 mile run on the treadmill.  I did a 10k build starting at 9.0mph building to my open marathon pace and ending with a 9.7mph mile.    The 10k on the tm felt relaxed and in control at just under 40 - 39:45.  The last 2.8 miles were done at my goal ironman marathon pace - 7:15

I followed that run up with 1500 in the pool. 500 warmup followed by 10x100's on 1:20 coming in on 1:07 to 1:10.

The second session of the day was just a 2000 meter swim.  No real specifics - just got in the time.


Happy birthday to my Grandpa Dick - He has been gone well over a year and a half now, but has been with me through all of this I believe.  The guy loved competition, and I have to credit him with my competitive personality.

Photo from May, 2011.  A few days after my Grandmother passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment