Text Widget

Thoughts from a father, husband, son, Boulder native pro triathlete, coach, and optimist.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Kona taper: day three

Did a little of all the sports today.  First workout today was a nice 3,500 yard swim again.

I am a huge procrastinator as a swimmer, so I often leave my swim fitness dormant until the last possible minute.  I started swimming consistently about 4 weeks ago.  I never swim in the off season, and often start swimming maybe a month to six weeks before an Ironman/70.3.  I tend to use my background as a swimmer and life-long time in the pool as a crutch to get me through the first leg of the race.  My approach is to have just enough to get through the distance in as close to an hour as possible.  I think that my time is better spent riding/running and that the investment in those sports will make for better overall finish times in the end.  Ride and run more = better return on investment...  I have had tons of people tell me I am wrong, but it has worked so far.  I will swim much more before the two planned full dist. races next year though - I will have a better idea about this theory then.

Second workout was a 31 mile bike averaging my target Ironman wattage - 205.  This puts me at about 3 watts/kg of bodyweight.  I have never raced ironman with a power meter, but I think this is where I want to target.  I made more adjustments on the bike today that will hopefully make me a bit more comfortable in HI.

Third workout was a 4 mile run.  I started out at 6:56/mile and built to 5:56 per mile.  My foot was quite sore today... It has usually been sore the day after I don't run on it.  I think this is a sign that there is healing and scar tissue still hanging on to the injury site.  The more consistently I run, the better it feels.  I will massage the heck out of it next week as I will only run twice leading up to the race.

And finally, I start a job tomorrow!  One day to get my feet wet before I leave for ten nights.

Before our morning trip to Safeway

No comments:

Post a Comment